Thursday, July 26, 2007

Building a New Life...

Brad and I have been dealing with the after-effects of our trip to go rescue our little goat-herder, which have manifested themselves in a nice case of the dreaded Mexican Goat Cold. I guess if you hug on sick kids, you're going to share in their colds... :) This is a rather tenacious cold, but it's got to get better eventually, right?

We've posted a new video and a photo gallery from our adventure with Mariquita on our homepage. It's amazing to me to watch this video and see how God led us each step of the way...

I just wanted to give a quick update on life at Una Esperanza. Mariquita, Maria, Dulce and Jessica all seem to be settling into a nice daily routine while living with Juan and Chelo's family. These girls have been so used to roaming the streets on their own, without any accountability, we had worried that it might be a tough transition to be "tied down" with rules, but they actually seem to welcome the security of having to live within parameters.


Here's the room where the girls will live until Casa de Una Esperanza is built. Juan had the four walls up by the time we brought Mariquita back, and he's expected to be pretty much done with the room by the time we return to Una Esperanza next week. While we were in Juarez, we purchased a new refrigerator for Juan and Chelo's home (I'm pretty sure the model they had was from the 1970's...) as well as mattresses, bedding, towels, clothes, a dresser, and Barbies for the girls.

It's interesting to note how closely the Tarahumara in our community are watching us right now. They all know Mariquita's story, and they are watching to see how we deal with the kids, and if we will be true to our word to provide a better life for her and watch out for her. We know this is a crucial time in our ministry to the Tarahumara, and we ask for your prayers as we live out our daily lives in plain view. They live such a separated lifestyle, and want nothing to do with "outsiders."

I was so reminded of Romans 10:14-15 the other day:
"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
And again in verse 20:
"...'I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me."

There is such unrest in the Tarahumara population in Kilmeter 33. The women are out fist-fighting in the streets. They attempt to stone one another in their anger. The men are drunk or absent much of the time. There is jealousy, envy and malice toward each other. There is a definite spiritual battle going on, and they don't seem to know their lives could be different. I'm not talking about poverty. I don't believe that to be the underlying problem. They are given free food, but it doesn't solve the root problem, which is a lack of Hope. However, the concept of Hope sounds rather academic until they see life change in people they know. We are praying that God will bring about that life change in the Tarahumara that have accepted Christ as their Savior. All our words mean nothing until they see love in what we do.

P.S. I learned about half-way through this story with Mariquita that I had been mis-spelling her name, so I've attempted to correct it in all the prior posts...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lesli,
I'm so happy to follow this story of these precious girls (I wish I could bring them home with us!). You can just see the relief in her eyes. Thank you for sharing this blog with us. I continue to pray for Mariquita and for all the girls and the Tarahumara. And I hope you recover from your colds very soon!

May God continue to bless all of you.

Love,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Lesli,

I've never heard of a Mexican Goat Cold....is that related to the Peruvian Itch? Just kidding, thanks for the update. It's a blessing to pray and watch God do His Thing. There are alot more children there that God wants to reach through this ministry, so hang in there. Loved in Him, Scott Oliveria

Anonymous said...

Try some Goat Cheese for the Cold

jerryboy7 said...

god bless you and brad for what you are doing. you guys are in my prayers.